Monday, May 01, 2006

Floatarium

On Friday after work I spent an hour in a floatation tank at the Edinburgh Floatarium, just a short walk from my flat. It was an interesting experience. First, I had to take a shower and put on my swimsuit. I also had to apply vaseline to any open cuts on my body because I was about to get into some very salty water. I also had to put earplugs in my ear.

The tank was about 4 feet by 8 feet, I think and it had about 10 inches of salt water in there. A small light lit up the tank. I was told to lie there, using a little neck pilllow if needed, and just relax. If I should fall asleep, it would be ok. If I wanted to I could turn off the light. Some relaxing music (reminiscent of Kitaro) played in the background.

The hour seem to go by very quickly. I couldn't sleep, my mind is always active thinking of one thing or another. But I did manage to relax a little bit and came out a little more refreshed. I think the tank is also good therapy for my back.

After the hour, I had a shower before going home. I left my swimsuit out to dry and it became stiff because the salt has caked. I think I much prefer a massage for relaxation.

I am also reading a book called 44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith. It is about the lives of people living in New Town Edinburgh, which is around my area. One of the characters went to the Floatarium!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home