Tuesday, May 09, 2006

He who foos last foos best

Isabel says that "foo" is a Scottish slang word meaning "had too much to drink", i.e. "He's foo!" - He's had too much to drink!".

So I looked up the word "foo" online and the meaning is
Dictionary.com = FOO. I particularly like the use for the word foo in phrases like: "He who foos last foos best" and "Many smoke but foo men chew".

There was no reference to the the drunken meaning. I'm going to speak to more Scottish people to see if they know. Isabel thinks maybe it is a Borders slang, and is not sure what the actual spelling is.

2 Comments:

Blogger Grant Barrett said...

The best resource for Scots terms is the Dictionary of Scots language, which has a nice entry for fou, which is probably the word you're spelling "foo."

3:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember foobar?
-Mei

4:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home