Saturday, January 14, 2006

Delicious Beer

On Friday, after the course was over, Guido and Sven took me to the Gütersloher Brauhaus, the local brewery for a few drinks after work. It was nice that they made the effort for me as they do not normally go for drinks after work, and also because they all drive to the office. I think Guido remembered me saying at dinner that I did not want to drink when I had to present the course the next day, but it would be ok to drink on Friday after it is over. It was a pleasant surprise as I was preparing to spend another quiet evening on my own. Unfortunately the others had family commitments and cannot join us.

The brewery was really just a pub with a restaurant but they had a room, no bigger than my apartment, where the vats were brewing the beer. As I had no idea, I left the ordering to Guido, and he got me one of the beers which they brew in-house. It was delicious, never tasted anything like it before!! It did not taste like beer as it was fragrant, i.e. it had the hoppy wheaty taste, and it was not bitter or too strong, though the colour was quite brown. He also ordered us some plain schnapps, because I mentioned in an earlier conversation that I normally have spirits or Guinness rather than beer. That schnapps was really like drinking pure alcohol! We had a lovely conversation about many things and also another round of beer and (peach) schnapps which was enough to give me a good high (not difficult when drunk on empty stomach, and in a short time). That was it for the night as they had to drive and cannot have more than a couple of drinks.

Definitely hope to go back there to see these great people again, and to taste the lovely beer!!


The trip back to London was good. It involved taxi, train and plane to get back, and there was no delays. The taxi came on time and the trip to the train station was so quick that I had 1/2 hour in town and bought a pair of boots. Productive or what!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home