Dans Le Noir
For Lisa's birthday celebrations, we (Lisa, Lee Ling, Friend A Sook and I) went to Dans Le Noir restaurant on 24 May 2007. It was the place which I wanted to go for my birthday but didn't book in time. They serve French food but that is not the attraction. The attraction is that you eat in total darkness, as if you were blind.
It was a most unusual experience. When we arrived, we locked our belongings in lockers, including our mobile phones (and any light giving devices). We then placed our dinner orders. There were four surprise menus to choose from, i.e. meat, no, meat, no fish or vegetarian. We all went for the meat surprise, though Lee Ling specified she does not eat beef.
When our table was ready, we were introduced to our guide called Cyril. All the guides/waiters were blind. We had to stand in single file, one hand on the shoulder of the person in front. The first person in front held on to Cyril and we walked slowly passing a few doors as it got darker and darker. The dining room was in complete darkness. You cannot see your hands in front of you!!
One by one we were shown a chair. I was the last and was left standing in the middle(?) of the room. I couldn't see or feel anything and felt really lost!! When we were seated, we were told what is on the table (fork and knife, napkin, glasses). We were given a basket of bread and a carafe of water. To pour the water, you put a finger in the glass to feel the water level so you don't overpour. I hung on to the basket of bread in case putting it down we cannot find it anymore!!
For starters, we had an assortment of tasters, and had a good time guessing what we were eating. Everyone else said there was fish (salmon) but I didn't think it tasted like fish! Then there was some pate. Then they said there was pasta, and I found the fish!! I had started eating from a different direction!! For mains, we were served lamb with chickpeas and lentils and cabbage. For dessert, we had tiramisu which had chocolate chips in it and was really nice, not too sweet. The food was quite good, but nothing extraordinary. Eating in the dark was the experience. Lisa couldn't pick any food up, and towards the end of each course I used my finger to feel around the plate to see if I had left anything behind!
The experience really made me appreciate my eyes. After a while, I felt that I had lost my sight. Although I had my eyes open, I couldn't see anything, so my eyes felt like they were not working anymore. Also, you had to keep constant conversation otherwise it would feel quite isolating. So, the room was very noisy as everyone was talking a lot and quite loudly!
After the meal we were shown out the way we arrived, in single file. Outside in the light, we were asked to guess what we had eaten. We weren't far wrong, but we had tuna instead of salmon... we'd never had guess!
Although I've had this experience, I'd go again if it is to take friends who want to experience it. I think it'll be a good place for Lynn to go.

2 Comments:
so did the food taste better without sight?
Hmmm... not really... either my sense of taste is bad, or their food is not mind blowing!! When I got the lamb, before tasting it I thought it might be beef.. so maybe it's me!!
Post a Comment
<< Home